Faculty, Brazelton Touchpoints Center
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School
Associate in Medicine, Boston Children’s Hospital
Active Medical Staff, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston
A developmental/behavioral specialist, Dr. Keefer has served as the Director of the Early Childhood Program Clinic at Children’s Hospital and Director of Newborn Nurseries at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston. She created a pediatric residency curriculum in Primary Care Neonatology, highlighting an interactive, family-centered behavioral-physical exam of the newborn.
As a senior faculty of the Brazelton Institute, Dr. Keefer has been active in the development of a clinical adaptation of the Neonatal Behavioral Assessment Scale. She brings extensive experience in pediatric practice, clinical teaching, and cross-cultural research to her Touchpoints faculty role. She is currently studying how Touchpoints can inform pediatric residency training in developmental and behavioral pediatrics.
Dr. Keefer lives in Cambridge MA and travels yearly to Iran with her husband.
- MD University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine
- BA Allegheny College, Meadville, PA
- University of Edinburgh, Scotland
- Pediatric intern, Babies’ and Children’s Hospital, Cleveland, OH
- Pediatric resident, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
- Pediatric chief resident, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
- Child development Fellow, Children’s Hospital Boston
- Graduate Seminar: Theory and Methods in Medical Anthropology, Harvard University
- Scholar, Harvard Medical International-Macy Program for Physician Teachers
Areas of Special Interest and Expertise
- Using Touchpoints in pediatric and family practice residency training.
- Elaborating and refining the Touchpoints principle – Use the Behavior of the Child as Your Language.
- Toddler and Newborn Touchpoints.
- LeVine RA, Dixon S, LeVine S, Richmond A, Leiderman PH, Keefer CH, Brazelton TBB. Child care and culture: lessons from Africa. Cambridge: Cambridge, University Press, 1994.
- Keefer CH. The combined physical and behavioral neonatal examination: a parent‑centered approach to pediatric care. In: Brazelton TB, Nugent JK, eds. Neonatal Behavioral Assessment Scale. 3rd edition; Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 1995.
- Keefer CH, Hafler JP. An innovative curriculum in primary care neonatology. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics. 2003;24:251-260.
- Nugent JK, Keefer CH, Minear S, Johnson LC, Blanchard Y. Understanding newborn behavior and early relationships: Newborn Behavioral Observation System. Baltimore: Brookes Publisher; 2007.